There are two ways for developing services using JAX-WS, service first, and contract first. Service first means you would typically write the implementation first and generate the WSDL afterwards, whereas contract first you would define the WSDL first, then write the implementation afterwards. There are pros and cons for each approach, but I won’t dwell on those now.
There are 2 parts to a JAX-WS service, the Service Endpoint Interface (SEI) and the Service Implementation Bean (SIB). The SEI is an interface where you abstractly declare the methods (or operations) that your service will provide, along with the inputs and outputs. The SIB is a concrete implementation of the SEI, where you actually implement the code for the SEI. Let me show you a basic example
Some time back I wrote an article describing the roosearch system I developed using grails. This is the second part, the android client, please checkout the previous article otherwise this might not make much sense!
After completing the grails component, I had a RESTful API available to me, and I just needed to build an app that could consume those services.
By default, the hostname on a raspberry pi installation will be “raspberrypi”, which is great if you just have the one pi.
If you’ve got more than one, then you’re going to get hostname conflicts when you attach both to your network. Fortunately its easy to correct this.
Plug the pi that you want to change hostname onto the network (leave the other unattached). That way when you ssh onto raspberrypi, you know which one it is.
Next, edit the hosts file.
Sometime in late 2012 I was discussing dissertation project ideas with my girlfriend, as she was coming up to her final year of a computing bachelors. The usual option chosen by many graduates would be to just build a website or an app, or do some form of market research. We decided to encompass all 3 to produce something that works, but ultimately something that could be of value. If I had the time, energy, and funds I’d pursue this as it has potential for a startup, but I don’t, so the important thing that I’ve taken away is the experience working with groovy, grails, and android.
A palindromic number reads the same both ways. The largest palindrome made from the product of two 2-digit numbers is 9009 = 91 × 99.
Find the largest palindrome made from the product of two 3-digit numbers.
Firstly I decided to try and solve the problem using two 2-digit numbers so I can understand how the creator of this problem got to 9009.
In about 15 minutes I was able to come up with this brute force hack:
The prime factors of 13195 are 5, 7, 13 and 29.
What is the largest prime factor of the number 600851475143 ?
To solve this, I needed to understand the process of prime factorisation (surprisingly, it is something which I was never taught at school/uni).
What we need to do, is to take the number 13195, then try and divide it by the smallest prime number; 2.
If it doesn’t divide equally, we try it with the next prime number; 3, and so on, until it divides evenly with no remainder.
A little while back I wrote a post about creating a python script to control a brickpi robot, now that I actually have the brickpi components, motors and cables and have actually tried it out, I’ve made a few improvements to that script to make it work.
Firstly, I had to revisit the raspbian installation. With the brickpi bundle I bought from Dexter Industries, it came with a pre-installed raspbian SD card. I’m not sure what was wrong, but I wasn’t able to boot into it, there were startup errors regarding /etc/init.d. A quick Google didn’t help, so I decided to flash a new SD card with a more recent version of raspbian.
Updating Java on a Mac is easy, it’s just a case of installing a new JDK and recreating the symbolic link that is used to point to the current JDK.
Download the Java .dmg for mac from the Oracle website, then run through the installer.
That will install Java for you, but your default Java installation won’t be updated to point to the new version, but fortunately its easy to correct that
Open up a terminal and type
You will probably see something like this
Each new term in the Fibonacci sequence is generated by adding the previous two terms. By starting with 1 and 2, the first 10 terms will be:
1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, …
By considering the terms in the Fibonacci sequence whose values do not exceed four million, find the sum of the even-valued terms.
Attacking this problem in using brute force, I create a left and right ints, to hold 1 and 2 respectively, I use these to walk along the fibonacci sequence.
As a developer, testing is very important. Some developers have the mindset of “Meh, I write code, testing is a QAs job”, which is pretty poor. It’s much better for the developer to be test driving their code, generally if adopted well it produces better quality code, and of course the sooner issues are caught the cheaper they are to address.
Most Java developers who are following TDD probably use mockito or powermock alongside JUnit. I’ve never been much of a fan of those combinations as I believe they involve far too much boilerplate code, and test code often becomes more verbose and harder to maintain than the actual production code itself.